Hartley Nature Preschool’s mission is to inspire life-long connections with nature through education, play, and exploration in a premier preschool environment that supports the whole child’s development while preparing children for school.
HNP is a preschool program that:
- Serves 3-5 year old children*
- Emphasizes learning through playing outdoors
- Supports the development of the whole child
- Provides children with the chance to develop a lifelong connection with nature
- Helps children prepare for kindergarten
- Offers options for 2 or 3 mornings or afternoons a week and 2 full days a week
- Offers a Tues/Thurs AM class just for three and young four year olds!
- Operates September-May
- Is licensed by the MN Department of Human Services as a child care center
*Children must be three years old by September 1st and fully toilet-trained to attend preschool
Hartley Nature Preschool is located at Hartley Nature Center in Duluth, MN. The preschool classrooms, full of lovely natural light and age-appropriate furnishings and materials, are located in the nature center. The nature playscape (natural playground) is located just out the backdoor of the nature center. The preschool also uses the 660 acres of city-owned Hartley Park for learning and play!
What is a nature preschool?
A nature preschool is a:
- Licensed child-care facility
Where the emphasis is on:
- Going outside daily in all (safe) weather
- Learning through play and nature play
- Child-directed, adult-supported activities
- Seasonal, place-based curriculum
- Whole-child development
Information from Green Hearts, Inc.