- 2 child sized backpacks for classroom tools
- Dress up clothes
- Art supplies
- Water color paper
- Baby dolls and doll props
- 4T-6/7 wool socks and indoor crew socks, not ankle socks
- 4T-6/7 inside clothes (pants, shirts, sweatshirts, warm socks, etc)
- 3T-6/7 outdoor clothing (waterproof mittens, neck warmers, snow pants, winter coats, rain gear, winter and rubber boots)
- Drying cabinet (example) and/or boot drying racks (example)
- Acorns and pinecones
- Trees and native flowers to plant in the playscape
Volunteer Task Wish List
- Make tree cookies of various sizes
- Build a giant Jenga set
- Build a corn hole set
- Build a wooden shelving system for the mud kitchen toys at the lean-to
If your family needs help paying for child care, rent, or food please visit ParentAware.org to find resources.
Outdoor Gear and Gear Guide
Check out the HNP Gear Guide to see a checklist of the gear your nature preschooler will need to play outdoors in all seasons.
Some of our favorite brands are:
- Outdoor School Shop: The one stop shop for all the best gear for nature preschool.
- Polarn O. Pyret rain gear and snow gear. Register on the outdoor school program page for a 15% discount for HNP families.
- Didriksons rain gear and snow gear
- Patagonia snow gear
- Helly Hansen snow and rain gear
- Columbia snow gear
- Land’s End snow gear
- Oaki rain suits (25% discount for HNP families)
Nature-Based Care Options in Duluth
Hartley Nature Preschool is a part of the Duluth Nature Play Collaborative which is lead by a group of educators who incorporate nature play into every day. If HNP doesn’t fit your family’s needs check out the many other programs in the collaborative including: Wind Ridge Schoolhouse, Secret Forest Playschool, Lake Superior Zoo School, Little Barnyard Preschool, Kindred Paths, and many more!
Nature Play in Duluth
Here are some resources for ideas of what to do with your family outdoors in Duluth:
- Ideas for Getting Kids Outside to Explore the Outdoors Duluth News Tribune article with ideas for families
- Outside in Duluth blog Duluthian Kristina Bourne’s blog on her family’s adventures with lots of ideas for getting out on adventures with your own little ones
- Nurturing Nature Play: Ten Tips for Parents from Green Hearts, Inc.
- A Parent’s Guide to Nature Play