To pre-register for ski’s or snowshoes, go to our registration site.
Covid-19 has significantly impacted programming (including our rental program) at Hartley Nature Center, but we believe it is more important than ever to spend time outside connecting with nature. It is because of this we plan to offer winter equipment rental for the 2020-2021 winter season, beginning on January 9th, 2021. Please read below to see what changes have been made to the program for this season. We will continue to update this plan as the Covid-19 pandemic changes.
NEW COVID PROCEDURES (Click here for the full Rental Pandemic Plan)
Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, the winter equipment rental program at Hartley Nature Center will look a bit different this season. Please see below for some of the most notable changes…
- Due to limited staff availability, HNC will only be providing rentals on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00am-3:30pm. Additional hours may be available during holidays. Any additional days will be advertised on our website and social media. Need gear during the week? Check with the UMD Recreational Sports Outdoor Program or the CSS Outdoor Pursuits Program.
- Reservations must be made in advance for all rentals at our registration site here: https://www.cogran.io/index.html?hartleynature We will not be providing any walk-in rentals this year. Reservations for skis and snowshoes can be made up to one week in advance. Due to very limited inventory, reservations for kicksleds and studded boots must be made via phone at 218-724-6735. All payment is due at the time of reservation.
- Reservations must be picked up in person at Hartley Nature Center during the time you indicate on your rental reservation.
- The Hartley Nature Center building will remain locked, even during the rental period. Those picking up a reservation will be required to call the nature center (218-724-6735) when they arrive and will be escorted into the building by staff to complete the pick-up process.
- Up to 5 people from one household will be allowed to enter the building at a time. If you arrive during a busy pick-up window, you may have to wait outside until the group in front of you is finished with their pick-up.
- All guests 5 years of age or older will be required to wear a mask, when inside the building. All guests should keep a distance of 6ft or more from staff at all times. Anyone who has any signs or symptoms of Covid-19, or have been in contact with a positive case in the last 14 days, will be denied entry.
- Bathrooms will be available to those picking up a rental, but use should be limited as much as possible.
- Personal items cannot be left in the building at any time.
Please Note: Our reservation system does not allow us to manage inventory. While we will make every effort possible to ensure that your rental is available at the time you indicate in your reservation, we cannot guarantee specific gear will be ready for pick up at your desired time. We will make every reasonable effort to accommodate your rental request, but if for any reason we cannot accommodate that request, we will refund your rental in full. (see our cancelation policy for more details)